Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Not quite touristy



The things about Seattle that have intrigued me most are not the usual tourist spots. For starters, take a look at the first picture of a recycling center inside a hamburger restaurant. Instead of just a green trashcan with a recycling arrow picture, this place actually has 3 centers - food compostables, recycling, and garbage - with pictures of what exactly should go in each area. Brilliant! Although, I will say it took me longer to throw away my trash than ever before because I was trying to match the empty containers/papers on my tray to the exact location. I felt like a flashing red light would appear if I mixed something up! Ha!

Second thing I noticed right away is the conference food. So, I'm out here for a teaching conference lasting from 8:15am-5pm every day, so naturally I assumed there might be some treats to start off the morning. When ever I go to conferences or meetings in the morning back in Ohio, it never fails an assortment of delicious bagels, muffins, pastries, juice, etc. is waiting for everyone. But, not in health-conscience Seattle! We had a pitcher of water and some granola-type bars to munch on. I was weary of these gluten free, low glycemic, low sodium, dairy-free, cholesterol-free, no trans-fat fruit and nut bar things, but the Almond & Coconut KIND bar is amazing!!! I fully intend to pick some of these up when I get back home. An interesting change of pace from the usual conference food....although I would really like a danish right about now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment