Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Leo update

Leo, Leo, Leo....where to begin. Okay, so Leo has been home almost 2 weeks now and he is definitely finished with the "honeymoon stage" of being a model dog and has now moved on to the "I have trapped you with my cuteness and now I will show you who is really in charge of this house" stage. Don't get me wrong, he is still a sweet dog most of the time, but when he isn't, he really isn't! For example, he is quite calm inside and will lay at your feet watching tv or following you around the house. He doesn't bark and whine or beg for food from the table (he will lay under the table but not sit and be obnoxious). He doesn't jump on furniture or chew and tear at things. He's had a couple accidents inside but nothing major...actually, he has had less accidents than my kids at school! Ha! Just today, one of my students missed the toilet and peed on his pants and underwear, and he didn't have an extra change of clothes, causing me to run all over the school searching in lost and found bins for pants that would fit him and then convincing the student he would have to wear the pants without underwear because we didn't have spare undies at school, and he was NOT a happy camper with that! *sigh*

Anyways, back to Leo, so he is a generally very good dog inside. BUT, and this is a big but, when he is outside in the backyard, he is a raving lunatic that runs at top speeds from one side of the yard to the other, weaving around trees and flower beds, searching Sam and I out to jump on and bite and scratch. We realize he is not doing it to be mean and that he is just overly eager to play, but as I'm applying Neosporin ointment to my entire arm and putting an ice pack on it to keep the bruising down, it's a little more difficult to rationalize his "playfulness." I will say, however, after that incident, while I was sitting on the couch with an ice pack, Leo sat right next to me trying to lick my arm and putting his head in my lap as if to say he was very sorry. We are trying to exercise him a lot everyday with walks and off leash in the backyard and giving him lots of chew toys to see if that helps with the biting, but I'm starting to wonder if we could find a vet to de-tooth Leo like they de-claw cats :) Joking! Well, only partially joking :)

But, Leo is still more fun than not and his pro side of the list still outweighs his con side, so after 2 weeks, we are still dog-owners :)

No comments:

Post a Comment