Tuesday, May 31, 2011

California Day 1, San Francisco

First thing you notice about San Francisco is the hilly streets! This one was so steep the sidewalks were actually stairs!

The famous crooked Lombard street - yes, I drove down it!

Leave it to me to find not just any candy store but one full of taffy barrels!
Alcatraz
Sea lions lounging on the boat docks

beautiful farm stand on the pier
The original creators of sourdough bread.


Welcome to San Francisco! It is a wonderful 56 degrees here - the perfect reprieve from 90 degree Ohio heat. Sam and I have an exciting week planned seeing the sights of San Francisco, Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, and Muir Woods, and visiting my family in California. After a slight plane delay, we arrived in the city with plenty of time to explore Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, and drive down Lombard Street, one of the crookedest streets in America, not once but twice so that Sam and I could both drive it :) We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Boudin's Bakery, famous for creating sourdough bread. It was neat to watch them shape animals from bread dough, although I wouldn't pay the asking price of $19.95 just to have my bread in the shape of a crab. Ha! Oh well, it's a touristy area so what do you expect?! San Francisco is an interesting city from the little bit we saw today and I'm looking forward to exploring some of the less touristy parts tomorrow. Stay tuned for more pictures and trip details! Good night from the city on the bay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment