Sunday, August 7, 2011

Garden update #3...surprise!

Basil, Parsley, Roma Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, and Habanero Peppers
My last garden post was May 17th, where I took a picture of my baby "green bell pepper".... well, let me tell you, I in fact do NOT have a green pepper plant but instead, I discovered very painfully, the plant tag must have been switched at the garden center and I am growing Habanero Peppers. Yes, me who hates spicy food is growing one of the spiciest peppers in the world, with a heat index of 100,000 - 350,000 Scoville units. I had no idea my peppers were habanero - I thought they were mini red bell peppers - until I accidentally got the oils in my eyes!!!! Here's what happened....I wanted to feed the cite baby ducks by my apartment but Sam said I shouldn't give them bread because it wasn't good for them (I looked it up and he is right even though my whole life I've always given ducks bread) but the website said ducks like vegetable scraps. So, I picked some "mini bell peppers" and we walked to the pond to feed them. I then proceeded to tear apart the peppers with my fingers and rub the seeds to clean the peppers for the ducks. What should have been my first clue is that the ducks ate the peppers but spit them back out very quickly. However, I just thought they didn't like peppers. So, Sam and I walk back to my apartment (he hadn't touched the peppers thankfully!!) and I quickly rinse my hands and get back to my scrapbook project. About 10 minutes later, I must have brushed my hand against my eye because all of a sudden it felt like a swarm of fire ants were in my eye and I start screaming. I splash water in my eye, but all that does is spread the pepper oil to my lips and other eye. One of the most painful experiences ever!! I really thought I was going blind. I run cold water over my face and Sam gets me a bag of ice. It took about 15 minutes for the burning to stop, but my eyes and upper lip were red and puffy the entire next day - which happened to be my second day of work training. Bad timing!

Moral of the story - if your vegetable plant produces vegetables different from the tag picture, do some research before touching them!

No comments:

Post a Comment